Friday, November 26, 2010

Creating the Perfect Huggies Logo

New Logo
old logo
    For this assignment we had to redesign a logo for any company. I redesigned the Huggies logo. Originally, the logo was just a block of letters that spelt out "HUGGIES", so I changed it so it is an actual picture that can represent the company. I started with 5 different ideas, which got narrowed down to one. The only problem was the picture in the background, wich was a bear. We as a class decided that the bear could send a wrong impression of the company. I decided to change it to a baby hugging the letters "HUGGIES". This way the customer can think of loving and happy babies wearing comfortable huggies diapers.
    I began the project by working in Adobe Illustrator, which at this point the class is all familiar with. I began by finding a picture off Google images of an animated baby. I was so excited when I found the perfect baby holding its arms out, until I found out that I had to recreate it in order to use it as my logo. This became the major struggle of my project. I used the pen tool to recreate its head down to its stomach. The head, a circle, was easy, but the facial features is where the challenge came in. For the facial features I used the pencil tool. I created one good eye and copied it so the two would be identical. Next the nose which was just a simple upward curve and same with the eyebrows and mouth. As the hair I just made a swirl to make the baby look young. Then I created the body and hands. The body was not a problem, but the hands were extremely difficult to copy  exactly. I did a lot of editing with the white arrow to fix them. I used the color meter to determine the exact skin color of the baby which was a peachy color. I made all the out lines a brown color so they would stick out, but also so they were not too dark. Finally, I finished off with curving the "HUGGIES" in the baby's arms. I tries to keep the same bubbly font and pinky red color. The font kept the same comfy feel and the red color really contrasted with the skin tone of the baby.
    Overall, I had fun with this project, but there was more editing than I thought.  I hope my new logo captures the baby and cozy feel of huggies diapers and I can't wait to make business cards!

No comments:

Post a Comment